After the building permit is issued, periodic inspections are necessary, including, but not limited to the following:
- All footings and foundations must be inspected before concrete is poured and/or block walls, etc. are erected. (Footings must be at least 42 inches below the grade line, which is considered the normal frost line.)
- All footings and foundations must be inspected after completion, before backfilling and with all anchor bolts in place.
- All underground plumbing, both sanitary and storm, must be inspected before backfilling.
- All rough framing must be inspected as soon as the exterior is enclosed, but before the interior work is started. (This includes the installation of rough plumbing and rough electrical)
- Insulation to meet the minimum energy code must be installed and inspected before being enclosed.
- Final inspection, when work is completed, is required. Any totally new construction will require a Certificate of Occupancy inspection, and the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Compliance before the building is occupied in whole or in part.
- Electrical additions/alterations must be inspected by Common Wealth (349-3900) or the Middle Department Inspection Agency (454-5191) for both a rough and final inspection and issue their certificate before the final inspection can be made by the Building Department. It is the owner’s or contractors responsibility to contact these Fire Underwriters and have these inspections made.
It will be the owner’s or builder’s responsibility to be certain these inspections are made as outlined above. to schedule these inspections, you should call 964-8181.
- Building Permit Application
- pdf Town of Hamlin Fees (8 KB)
- pdf Area Variance Application (144 KB)
- pdf Use Variance Application (140 KB)
- pdf Special Use Permit Application (1.42 MB)
- pdf Application for Sign Permit (501 KB)
- Terminology when applying for a building permit
- After the building permit is issued
- Building Data to address frequently asked questions relative to construction
- Zoning and Building (includes a Zoning Map)
- Hamlin Town Code
- New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code
- pdf Town of Hamlin Development Regulations (5.08 MB)
- Asbestos Cancer Information